A British Trench map with the situation on the 1st of april 1917. Blue lines represent the British trenches, the red lines are the German trenches and other structures (left). This British map shows us the situation on the 7th of July 1918. The terrain was subsequently re-captured by the allied troops. Note the metre gauge railway station (Huddleston station) and two camps (Cable camp and Huddleston Camp). (right)
A large part of the terrain was captured by the German troops, the 22nd Reserve division of the 4th German Army, on 22 April 1915 during the first large scale gas attack in history (the first day of the Second Battle of Ypres). This became the northernmost point of the Ypres Salient.
It was reinforced with wire entaglement and trenches and remained the frontline until 31 July 1917, when the allies launched the Third Battle of Ypres. During those two years, certain features were destroyed and others were constructed. The evolution of this trench warfare can be examined by using trench maps and wartime aerial photographs.